Some of our specialties at Gulfside Dental are root canals and extractions. Restorative dentistry is a branch of dental science that deals with reversing and protecting teeth damaged from tooth decay. If left untreated, tooth decay may lead to a painful cavity through which bacteria will invade your tooth, requiring its removal by one of our dentists.
To save your tooth, our dentist may need to perform root canal treatment. A tooth is not solid bone; inside each one there is tissue called tooth pulp and canals filled with nerves. If oral bacteria erode the outer enamel, they will invade and infect the pulp and inflame these nerves. During a root canal we will remove the infected tissue and seal the cavity.
The procedure is only 4 steps:
- You're given an anesthetic to numb the area near the infected tooth.
- An opening is made in the top, or crown, of the tooth.
- The infected pulp is removed.
- The tooth is strengthened with a post and a white crown is installed on it to prevent future infections. The process usually takes 1 to 2 visits.
The main benefits of a root canal are:
- No more pain.
- Your mouth maintains a natural appearance.
- You retain your normal bite and sensation.
Saving your natural tooth is always the best option. But sometimes due to an extensive infection or severe injury, the tooth needs to be extracted. Tooth extraction is just the manual removal of the tooth. To eliminate your discomfort, Gulfside dental will first numb your mouth with an anesthetic. Because we want to restore your smile and chewing ability, our Naples dentist will discuss replacement options, such as bridges, dentures, or partials, before and after the extraction with you.
Visit Gulfside Dental a trusted dentistry practice in Naples, Florida to discuss the steps needed to regain your healthy smile. We are happy to remain the Naples dentist of choice!